The John F. Barnes’ Myofascial Release Approach (JFBMFR) is a holistic, hands-on technique that uses gentle, sustained pressure to release fascial adhesions and restrictions. This helps restore function and eliminate pain.
Myo refers to muscle and fascia refers to the continuous web of connective tissue surrounding every cell, nerve, blood vessel, organ, bone, and muscle of the human body, from head to toe.
Restrictions and adhesions in this system can be caused by:
- stress or trauma (physical, mental, and/or emotional)
- repetitive motion
- birth trauma
- poor posture
Symptoms of these restrictions can include:
- pain (muscle, joint, tendon, nerve, unexplained)
- decreased range of motion
- diminished organ function
- body distortions (scoliosis, forward head posture)
Myofascial Release can help relieve these symptoms by restoring the fluidity and elasticity of the fascial web, allowing cells to receive the nutrients necessary for proper function, eliminating toxins, and relieving tensile pressure on pain-sensitive structures, pressures of approximately 2,000 pounds per square inch!
Why choose Myofascial Release instead of massage?
- It facilitates deep healing that affects all aspects of health, not just rubbing muscles or providing a relaxing experience.
- Results typically last longer.
- The techniques are not forceful. Giving the tissues time to respond is central to the principles of Myofascial Release.
- The client is engaged in and committed to the healing process. Awareness and feeling deeply are part of the effectiveness of this work.
- Myofascial Release can give the client insight into their body and can help to process unresolved physical and emotional issues.
“Jennifer is skilled and personable. She explains everything about her method, she is excited about her work, and I come away feeling better. I am just beginning a series of myofascial release treatments and look forward to the results.” – Barbara S.